The Federal Government is evacuating another 83 Nigerians from South Africa, days after concluding its voluntary repatriation programme that returned nearly 1,490 Nigerians amid growing concerns over Afrophobic attacks and anti-foreigner sentiments.
The latest batch is expected to arrive at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos, on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, after departing Oliver Tambo Airport, Johannesburg, aboard South African Airways at 3:35pm local time.
According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the flight is scheduled to arrive in Lagos at approximately 8:45pm the same day.
The ministry disclosed this in a statement, explaining that the latest evacuation was made possible through the intervention and sponsorship of flight tickets by public-spirited private individuals.
It expressed appreciation for the intervention, describing the support as an example of the “whole of society approach” to addressing consular emergencies.
The statement read: “The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is pleased to announce that a new batch of 83 Nigerian nationals will arrive at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos on Wednesday, August 19, 2026 via South African Airways.
“They are expected to depart the Oliver Tambo Airport in Johannesburg at 3.35pm local time to arrive Lagos at approximately 08.45pm the same day.”
The ministry added: “The Ministry wishes to note that this latest cohort of returnees is facilitated through the kind intervention and sponsorship of tickets by public-spirited private individuals, whose generosity the federal government acknowledges with profound gratitude.”
The latest evacuation comes against the backdrop of heightened anti-immigrant rhetoric in South Africa, particularly concerns over attacks and discrimination targeting African nationals.
The Federal Government said it remained committed to protecting the welfare and dignity of Nigerians at home and abroad under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s administration.
It said Nigerians in the diaspora remained critical assets to national development under its Citizen Diplomacy agenda, stressing that their safety and well-being would continue to receive priority.
The ministry urged the organised private sector, corporate organisations, state governments and other well-meaning Nigerians to emulate the initiative and support government efforts during consular emergencies.
It also said Nigeria would continue to deepen diplomatic engagements with host countries, including South Africa, to address the root causes of Afrophobia and prevent violence and discrimination against Nigerians.
The ministry stressed that acts of violence and discrimination must be condemned and perpetrators held accountable.
Meanwhile, anti-immigration group in South Africa, March and March, has announced September 30 as a fresh deadline for undocumented foreigners to leave the country.
The group made the declaration during a protest outside the 46th Southern African Development Community (SADC) Summit in Durban on Tuesday.
March and March, which previously led nationwide protests on June 30 demanding tougher action against undocumented migrants, marched through central Durban, calling on African leaders attending the summit to facilitate the return of their citizens living in South Africa without legal documentation.
The group also warned that it would sustain its campaign until the South African government addresses its immigration demands.





































