By Enyichukwu Enemanna
US President Donald Trump has announced the cancelation of Secret Service protection attached to immediate past Vice President, Kamala Harris, cutting an extension due to expire in 2026.
Harris had run for the US presidency last year as the Democrats candidate but lost to the incumbent President Trump.
Traditionally, former Vice Presidents receive six months of Secret Service protection after they have left office.
Before he left office in January, former President Joe Biden had extended Harris’ protection to one year, until January 2026.
Harris is due to embark on a 15-city book tour this September for her memoir, “107 Days,” about her unsuccessful presidential run.
She was the Democratic nominee for 107 days after Biden withdrew from the race in the weeks following a disastrous debate against Trump.
A letter to Harris, dated Thursday, says the termination of additional security is effective Sept. 1, a White House official said on Friday.
Kirsten Allen, a senior adviser to Harris, said in response to the move: “The vice president is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety,” she said.
Harris has not ruled out a possible presidential bid in 2028. She announced on July 30 that she would not run for governor of California in 2026.
Trump has also ended federal security protection for others, including those who have criticized him such as former national security adviser John Bolton.
In March, he ended protection for Biden’s children Hunter Biden and Ashley Biden.