By John Ikani
The recruitment exercise by Saudi Arabian Ministry of Health at Sheraton Hotels, Abuja has been suspended.
This is as operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) on Thursday, dispersed medical doctors who were at the Hotel to take part in the recruitment interview organised by the Saudi Arabian authorities.
Heritage Times gathered that the security agents after arriving at the centre, dispersed the doctors and journalists on ground.
An eye witness who spoke to newsmen said: “When I came here, we saw the DSS operatives dispersing the people that came for the interview and before we knew it, everywhere had been scattered.
“A journalist with the ICIR, Marcus Fatunde, was also arrested, but he has been released.”
Confirming the development to newsmen, the Vice-President, Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) Adejo Arome, told The PUNCH that the organisers of the interview confirmed to him that the exercise had been suspended.
He said, “Well, some people got to the venue today (Thursday) and when they didn’t meet anyone, they called me and I confirmed from the recruiters and some other doctors that the recruitment has been suspended.
“The recruitment on Tuesday garnered coverage, because of the media publicity. It was everywhere that doctors were going to Saudi Arabia.
“The recruiters had to suspend it because the Federal Government said it felt embarrassed by the news.
“It is a big shame. The government has no right to infringe on the right of the citizens to choose to go to another country. If the system is not working, let them go to another country.”