By Victor Kanayo
Juventus Director Cristiano Giuntoli has hinted that the club is considering sacking Paul Pogba after he failed a drug test.
The director who spoke at a press conference said, “It is an unpleasant situation, but the lads are in good shape, and we are confident going into the game. I repeat, it is an unpleasant situation; we’ll wait for the counter-analysis tests and then decide along with the player’s agent what to do.”
The media in the last week have been dominated by reports of Pogba failing a doping test that showed a high level of testosterone after the 3-0 win over Udinese on August 20.
Juventus now believe they have a very strong case to terminate the contract of the France midfielder over reports he took a vitamin integrator in the United States without consulting the Juve staff.
Giuntoli’s response underscores Juventus’ intent to terminate the contract of the former Manchester United player, who is being blamed for the failed doping test and subsequent ban, which could be up to two years.
On September 11, 2023,Pogba, 30, who was working his way back from an injury layoff at the time of the unfortunate incident, was provisionally suspended from playing due to an anti-doping offence, as non-endogenous testosterone was found in his test results.
Giuntoli also spoke on the club’s latest outburst with their former defender Leonardo Bonucci, stressing that they respected him like all of their players.
“We do not like to speak outside of the opportune arenas about certain things. We are convinced that we respected all of our players and, above all, the squad,” he said.
Pogba, an Italian international, played for Manchester United, a club currently struggling in a poor state of form at the Premier League.