The Federal Government says it will soon commence the trial of 5,000 suspected Boko Haram members who are in various detention facilities across the country.
The Director-General of Legal Aid Council, Aliyu Abubakar, disclosed this during a courtesy visit to Borno Governor Babagana Zulum on Tuesday at the Maiduguri Government House.
Abubakar identified Giwa Barracks, Maiduguri, Kainji Correctional facilities, among the locations were the suspects are being detained over their alleged involvement in the activities of the Boko Haram sect.
According to him, the trial would be conducted by the Office of the Attorney General of the Federation, Office of the National Security Advisers in collaboration with the Theatre Command Operation Lafiya Dole, while the Legal Aid Council was mandated to provide Defence for the inmates during the hearing of the case.
The Director general further explained that the legal aid team has so far interviewed about 283 as part of the efforts to established extend of their involvement as well as to understand the nature of the crimes they committed.
Delivering his remarks, Governor Babagana Zulum who was represented by his deputy said the government was ready to partner with the federal government to enable it achieved its mandate.
He commended the council for providing legal support to the people of the state while assuring them that the government’s commitment toward supporting the activities of the council financially.