Governor Babajide Sanwo-olu of Lagos state, has blamed ‘forces beyond our direct control’ for Lekki massacre, which led to the shooting and death of unarmed protesters.
Security operatives on Tuesday opened fire on protesters at the popular Lekki Toll gate. The protesters were demanding an end to police brutality, harassment and extra-judicial killings.
“This is the toughest night of our lives as forces beyond our direct control have moved to make dark notes in our history, but we will face it and come out stronger,” the governor tweeted on Wednesday.
He also said that at least 25 people were injured from the attack.
“There are currently 10 patients at the Gen Hospital, 11 at Reddington and 4 at Vedic; with mild to moderate levels of injuries while 2 are receiving intensive medical care. 3 patients have been discharged & we will continue to monitor and ensure all patients get the best care,” he added.
Hillary Clinton, former US secretary of state, has asked President Muhammadu Buhari to stop the killing of #EndSARS protesters.
Soldiers had invaded the Lekki toll gate area of Lagos earlier on Tuesday, shooting at unarmed protesters.
The incident had generated an uproar, within and outside the country.
Super Eagles and Manchester United striker, Odion Ighalo also condemned the killings, describing the Buhari-led government as a shame to the world.
Hundreds of people were at the site at the time of the shooting, which witnesses said took place around 7pm.
Scenes of protesters removing a bullet from someone’s wound and pleading for help were broadcast in a live video on Instagram by DJ Switch, a popular disc jockey.
Amnesty International said it had received “credible but disturbing evidence of excessive use of force occasioning deaths of protesters at Lekki toll gate in Lagos”, adding that it was investigating “the killings”.
Tens of thousands of people have been taking to the streets every day for nearly two weeks across Nigeria to demand an end to police violence.