The Lagos State Government has denied deploying military officers to attack EndSARS protesters at Lekki tollgate on Tuesday evening, as it ordered for a full investigation into the sporadic shooting.
Mr. Gbenga Omotoso, the state’s commissioner for information and Strategy, disclosed in a statement, that the state could not have ordered extra-judicial killings of peaceful protesters as being reported on social media platforms.
Social media accounts had revealed the incident, with claims that peaceful protesters were shot at by the military personnel at the Lekki toll during the #EndSars protest which has persisted for weeks.
A gripping image which went viral on social media, saw one of the protesters covered in blood while the flag was used to reduce the bleeding apparently from an injury.
However, Following the unfortunate development, Omotoso added that the state government had ordered an investigation into the incident and anyone found culpable would be be made to face justice.
“Governor Sanwo-Olu has advised the security agents not to arrest anyone on account of the curfew, which he urges residents to observe for the peaceful atmosphere we all cherish,” he said.
According to the commissioner, the governor advises Lagosians to remain calm and not allow criminals, who have hijacked the noble protest of “our gallant youths, to succeed in their evil plan of turning our dear State upside down”.
“The Governor will do everything within his power to ensure that the lives of all Lagosians are protected at all times,” Omotoso said.
Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwa-Olu paid a visit to some of the injured protesters taken to the general hospital.
Contrary to several reports indicating that Nine persons were feared killed, the governor took to his twitter handle in the wee hours of the morning to disclosed the present condition and locations of the injured protesters.
This is the toughest night of our lives as forces beyond our direct control have moved to make dark notes in our history, but we will face it and come out stronger.
I've just concluded visits to hospitals with victims of this unfortunate shooting incident at Lekki . pic.twitter.com/r5idAn9Pxw
— Babajide Sanwo-Olu (@jidesanwoolu) October 21, 2020
Recall that a curfew was imposed by the Lagos State Government earlier in the day starting from 4pm but was later moved to 9pm, yesterday. However, the protesters insisted on to continuing the protest pending when their demands are met.