By Victor Kanayo
World Football governing body FIFA has slammed a 20-year suspension on a former youth coach, Jonathan Bukabakwa, in the Democratic Republic of Congo for sexually abusing a youth player.
This was disclosed in a statement by FIFA on Friday.
The statement said Bukabakwa had been “found guilty of sexually abusing a minor football player.”
It said the adjudicatory chamber had also fined Bukabakwa 100,000 Swiss francs (112,000 dollars).
The case, said FIFA’s statement, followed allegations on several media platforms of the sexual abuse of minors by coaches in different regions and leagues in DR Congo.
Bukabakwa was provisionally suspended for five months earlier this year.
FIFA said following an investigation the adjudicatory chamber “was comfortably satisfied that Mr Bukabakwa had breached…the Code of Ethics.”
FIFA said the decision was in line with its “zero tolerance approach to all forms of abuse in football.”