By Esther Adesulu
Christopher Adebayo Alao-Akala was a Nigerian politician and former police officer. He ruled Oyo State as Governor from 2007 to 2011.
Here are five hard facts about the late Akala:
1. His favourite food was Amala, Gbegiri and Ewedu. He was the father of ‘Amala Politics’.
2. He was about the only Governor in Nigeria whose love of chains and bangles could not be ignored. Akala always appeared publicly wearing gold wristwatch, gold-plated chains and bangles.
3. Alao-Akala was a polyglot who spoke English, Yoruba, Hausa and Ghanaian languages (Twi, Fanti and Dagbani) fluently.
4. He was also popular for using chemicals to ‘polish’ (bleach) his skin.
5. Alao-Akala was barely educated and was a very spiritual man.