By Ebi Kesiena
Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua has declared a notable achievement in the ongoing fight against illicit brews and substance abuse in Kenya.
He expressed optimism that the efforts are yielding positive results, signaling a ray of hope for a generation that was perilously close to succumbing to the menace.
Gachagua, who spent Boxing Day with children at his residence in Mathira, Nyeri, drew inspiration from the encounters he had with young people during his journey from Nairobi as he extended gratitude to the Kenyan populace for actively supporting the cause, preventing the youth from falling into the trap of alcohol, marijuana, and other drugs.
“Our collective efforts have borne fruit. The battle against illicit alcohol and drug abuse is beginning to show results. Previously, we were on the verge of losing an entire generation,” said Gachagua.
Back in August, the Deputy President had reported a commendable 70% success rate in the ongoing campaign against illicit substances. Addressing the issue firmly during his visit to Nyandarua County, he reiterated his commitment, emphasizing that no compromises would be tolerated.
“We are diligently working to eliminate illicit brews that had infiltrated the Mt Kenya region. We have achieved a 70% success rate, and the remaining 30% is our focus,” he affirmed.
The government-led initiative, spearheaded by Gachagua, commenced earlier in the year with a crackdown on the sale and consumption of illicit brews, narcotics, and other psychotropic substances.
Several counties in the Central and Upper Eastern regions joined forces in the endeavor to curb the prevalent menace.