Head Coach Thomas Tuchel has revealed that the ankle injury sustained by Chelsea midfielder Mateo Kovacic appears less severe than first feared.
The Croatian international had to be withdrawn during the first half of Sunday’s FA Cup semi-final against Crystal Palace, leading to concerns over his status for the remainder of the campaign.
Before Kovacic had been assessed by the club’s medical staff, Tuchel hinted that the 27-year-old could be sidelined in the long term.
However, speaking to reporters at a press conference, the Blues boss said that Kovacic could be ready to return at the start of May.
The German said: “Kova is out. It is a ligament injury and it is hopefully no longer than two weeks. Two weeks can be a long time for us in terms of games so hopefully he can make it as soon as possible.”
Chelsea face four matches in quick succession, facing Arsenal, West Ham United, Manchester United and Everton during the period where Kovacic is expected to be unavailable.