By Enyichukwu Enemanna
Canada has launched an investigation into the cause of an “explosion” that rocked its High Commission in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital on Monday.
The North American country also joined the United States and the United Kingdom to issue a travel advice on its citizens in Nigeria, cautioning against non-essential travels.
At least two persons were killed while two others sustained injuries following a fire outbreak at the High Commission, an incident Canada says was sparked by “explosion”.
The Canadian Foreign Minister, Melanie Joly had issued a terse statement on X, formerly known as Twitter, mourning the victims of the explosion
“We can confirm there was an explosion at our High Commission in Nigeria. The fire is out and we are working to shed light on what caused this situation. I send my heartfelt condolences to the families of the 2 people killed in this tragedy,” she said.
“I send my heartfelt condolences to the families of the 2 people killed in this tragedy”, she added.
The embassy had “temporarily suspended operations until further notice”, Canada’s High Commission in Nigeria, said on social media.
It blamed the decision on “the unpredictable security situation throughout the country and the significant risk of terrorism, crime, inter-communal clashes, armed attacks and kidnappings”.
President Bola Tinubu had earlier sympathised with the Canadian Government and the victims of the fire incident at the Canadian High Commission in Abuja.